Thursday, February 16, 2012

Monochromatic Dramatic


Typically when you think of a monochromatic look you often associate that with plain, basic, simple and even boring.  However, that doesn't have to be the case.  Some of the most stylish, sophisticated and well put together looks are made of a monochromatic color scheme.  I've found that the best way to pull this off is by mixing textures and shapes and adding just a pop of color or umph via your accessory or your shoes so that although the color palette is similar from top to bottom, the look is nothing near boring or plain!  And with that I must digress (bare with me...this is a necessary digression so keep on reading....).  

In my new found love of blogging, which includes reading other blogs, I've noticed that a lot of honeeyz seem to be misconstruing the concept of fashion forward, savvy, unique and stylish with thrown together yet contrived looks of mixed patterns and colors.  Grabbing a plaid shirt, polka dot top, striped shoe, and layering it with an animal print jacket simply b/c these patterns and colors are not the same does not make it stylish per se.  Even Carrie Bradshaw, in all her unexpected and unique style, had a method to her madness and was able to put together some of the most memorable yet gorgeous looks with mixed patterns but it was authentic and there was a story and a concept behind the looks she put together. There was still a flow and consistency. That's the difference between looking like a clown and looking like a fly chick.  And I'm not saying there is only one way to be stylish.  I truly believe that style is original to each person and what they make of it and there is an individual art to it.  I am a huge fan of mixing patterns and textures but in an authentic way.  What I'm trying to say is I don't believe that merely mixing up unexpected non-matching patterns just bc they don't match is necessarily stylish; and at the same time, wearing classic cuts and pieces of subtle or neutral color tones is not inconsistent with being fly and stylish.  Some of the most trusted Style Stars, including Halle Berry, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, Miranda Kerr, Gwen Stefani, Kim Kardashian, Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba and the likes keep things very tailored, classic, and subtle but with a stylish twist that makes them the Style Stars that they are.  And even those who are more eclectic and daring like Solange Knowles (lovveeee this chick's style) and Rihanna, also do what they do with taste and strategy but have some of the best looks when they are simple and clean.  I just thought that was important to put out there and at the end of the day, you do what is natural to you and what you can wear comfortably. Don't feel bullied to be "unique" by putting together a bunch of stuff for the sake of being deemed fashionable and don't feel confined to the expected b/c you are afraid to be too daring.  

Now back to where I started... a dramatic yet monochromatic look... Here, I paired a leather A-line skirt of a plum/brown/maroon color with a more plum button down top of a polyester like material (yes, freaking polyester) and for that little piece of unexpected to add the drama I paired the look with some leopard pony hair knee boots and a navy and yellow scarf for outdoors layering.  I loved this look. Is anyone getting a Diana Ross in Mahogany vibe?? B/c I am and I'm loving it! 

A funny fact is that this leather is skirt is from the Gap. I purchased in the early 2000s during that magical era when the Gap put out phenomenon pieces.  It's a size 1 (yea I was nice and svelte back in the day) and I have to put it on over my head b/c this thing is not going over my butt! LOL.  


I'm loving this hair these days...very "Joan Clayton".  :-) 

16 comments:

  1. The monochromatic look makes the leather skirt so much more wearable. Plus that is a hard color to match, so going monochrome makes mornings easier. Thanks for another sleek and stylish look.

    And of course, love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jas!!! This was definitely "I need an easier morning" look, considering I was running late for work, as usual! :-)

      Delete
  2. loves the skirt omg! saw u on fashion bomb.....congrats luv!!!!

    www.wirehangeronline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Princess!! Welcome to Milk and Honeeyz!!! I actually have so much to thank you for b/c if it wasn't for your comment I would've have never known I was featured on fashion bomb! I had no clue. LOL. I was being a good little girl and working hard so I could leave work and get to the hair salon so I hadn't done any of my daily internet perusing and then I finally checked my email and saw your comment first! Thanks for the tip! I hope you keep coming back to check on me over here! I'll definitely be on wirehanger from here on out! :-)

      Delete
  3. First off caught you on FBD and congrats!! Secondly when I read your comment about this skirt I fell out laughing because I purchased this skirt as well many years ago and did a post on ithttp://www.swoonblog.com/2012/01/my-entry.html and I thought about getting rid of it plenty of times but sooo glad I didn't. Anywho you look fab and lovin' the content of your blog.
    www.swoonblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeeda and welcome to Milk and Honeeyz! How funny is it that you can theoretically fit an item but can't get it on (or off in some cases)?? LOL. I don't care how I have to get this skirt on for here on out but it's staying in the closet! :-) By the way, I peeked at swoonblog and it's officially being added to my blog roll! Your style is awesome and your pictures are bomb! What type of camera do you use?

      Delete
  4. You have great style doll :) xx

    http://lolitasfashionideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lolita and welcome to Milk and Honeeyz! I hope you keep checking in with us. I'll definitely be on Lolitas on a regular basis! You have great ideas. I can't wait to steal a moment this weekend to go through your site from beginning to end. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you.

    Love your style.

    www.justpatience.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patience! I love, love, love your blog! I found it for the first time just this Monday thanks to your feature on Blackfashionbloggers!! I've checked back every day since and will be adding you to my blog lovin' list ASAP! Your style is all that and I love your shots! The one in the snow was so pretty! I hope you continue to check in with Milk and Honeeyz! Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  6. I'm loving your look! Especially the boots! Where did you get them? Who made them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Honeey!! Welcome!! These boots are an oldie but goodie and totally unexpected find! I bought them in 2004 from King of Prussia mall in PA (this is hands down one of the best malls on the east coast) for a Jay-Z concert. I was running late for the concert. I found an outfit in Nordstroms but couldn't find a shoe and was basically feeling defeated when I passed Bandolino (of all places). I always thought of Bandolino as an older women's store with nothing I was interested in but these babies were in the window and I stopped dead in my track, and the rest is history!! LOL. They cost me $300 but 8 years later they are still one of my favorite shoes so well worth the money. I'll keep them til the bitter end! Be sure to keep checking in with us and thanks for your support!!

      Delete
  7. Cute outfit. I especially love that TOP!!! I'm a new reader. I spotted your blog on The Fashion Bomb and loved your style. Check out my blog sometime ASassyWoman.Com :)

    XoXo,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley! How about I had another identical top to this one and was chocolate brown with teal blue polka dots...17x more amazing but the only problem is....I threw it away when I moved last summer!! I'm still super sick about it!!! OMG. I have nightmares about that shirt (and 5 other random pieces I threw away b/c I was too lazy to pack). Sigghhhhh!!

      Delete
  8. This look is insane! I love it!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki and welcome to Milk and Honeeyz!! I'm glad you like this look, it's one of my favorite things to do...monochromatic with a kick. A lot of people immediately shy away from it and go to patterned pieces but I think a monochromatic look with dramatic pieces works just as well (and it's easy to do too)! Hope you keep checking in with us Honeey!!!! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...