Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brand New Vintage


Surprisingly, I haven’t yet hopped on the thrifting trend that everyone has been going crazy over.   I say surprisingly b/c I do love a lot of retro and vintage designs... the details, fabrics, bells and whistles can be so beautiful and intricately done.  I have a lot of pieces in my wardrobe that is very reminiscent of decades ago in terms of the colors, structure, patterns, and materials (to hammer this point home, I typically dream of everything Diana Ross is wearing in "Mahogany" and "Lady Sings the Blues").   I probably haven't completely jumped on the boat mostly because I’m so darn impatient.  I don’t like combing through racks and examining things in that kind of way that makes an official and effective thrifter.  I did give it a go a time or two… well sort of.  One time my BFF, Shan, and I made it to a consignment shop but I left with a pair of Rock and Republic jeans and a very current Covet dress…totally modern, totally nowhere near thrifting or vintage hunting, totally missed the point.  LOL.  Anyways, I’ll give it another go one day soon but for now I love finding retro pieces from today that remind me of the good old days of yesteryears, even though it's brand spanking new and made within the most recent season.  
In this look, I did exactly that (I also did it HERE too), I wore current items that are an ode to back in the day.  This dress is from the Isaac Mizrahi for Target line and it was originally priced at $70 and I got it for….drum rolls please.... $7!! That’s right!!  It was stuck on a clearance rack somewhere and I stumbled on it by accident, and aside from the fact that it cost only $7, I was immediately attracted to the fabric, the way the dress moved, the pleating, tie waisted detail, the color, and the length (all of which screams Diana Ross as Billie Holiday).  Only issue is that it's actually too big. It's a medium and I really need a small but again, it cost $7 so I was not walking away from that thing!  Never mind the fact that I was likely in Target for laundry detergent, soap and lotion and managed to leave with a bunch of crap, including a cart full of clothes...does anyone ever make it out of Target with just the necessities? I never do.  Anyways, I figured with the tie waist and buttons down the middle I could manipulate it down to my size. This go around I paired the dress with giraffe print pony hair booties (animal print and pony hair is very vintage inspired).  Those shoes give the look that edge and kick I’m always needing.  And to go totally eclectic retro (and to keep warm), I added the navy blue polka dot and print scarf and a blazer, both from H&M.  The scarf is screaming vintage Hermes or Etro, except it cost me $10 and I bought it this past summer rather than in the 60's. LOL. The blazer helps to streamline the dress considering it's still really too big for me. What do you honeeyz think?  What tips do you honeeyz have for a modern chick trying to experience some thrifting bonuses?? What do you honeeyz gravitate to when you are trying to get an eclectic or retro look popping off?
Giraffe Print Pony Hair Booties, Luxury Rebel; Sunglasses, Christian Dior; Watch, Marc by Marc Jacobs; Rosegold Bracelet, BCBGeneration; Necklace, Tilly's; Leather Wallet, Mac and Jac ($20 at TJ Maxx); 



My calves never let me down. It doesn't matter how many carbs I eat and how infrequently I make it to the gym, the calves are faithful to me! I really wish my abs had the same loyalty and dedication!! :-) 

The flow is so pretty...I love it!
The detail blows my mind... and for $7 (did I say that already)??!!!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look! The shoes are gorgeous and the dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honeey!!! I love this dress too and of course that it cost me $7!!! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. ...cover girl!! LOL. Thank you miss honeey and I'm loving your new avitar pic.

      Delete
  4. I am in love with your shoes.... ohhh they are so sexy!!!

    -Kami from brokefashionista11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kami!! Welcome to Milk and Honeey and thanks for the compliments. They are one of my favorite shoes! I'm on my way to check out your blog now. I love the name...too cute!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...